Saturday, November 13, 2010

Common Day to Day signs: It’s not the Weather and It's not in Your Head, It’s Allergies


When my little girl was a mere six months, I began wondering how people with allergies survive. My friend who had allergies, had a daughter not much older than mine, who was at that point exhibiting symptoms that she may also have allergies. I remember thinking “Oh, I’m so glad it’s not me!” I also remember thinking “ok, I get you don’t want your kid to puke, but if she does, that isn’t the end of the world-- it really is no big deal” WRONG! It is a huge deal, and I later came to find out-- it's a BIG FAT WHOPPING end-of- the-world-deal if you have a child that exhibits signs which delay growth, or even cause anaphylaxis. It is a nightmare when it involves your child's well-being, and social growth.

My daughter, even after the drug reaction, but before the second ambulance ride to the hospital, had allergic symptoms, (which I'll list below in bold for easy finding) all along and I was totally unaware. You know there are those fair headed children who have a pink look to them all the time-- I have a few of those-- I was one of them! What I didn’t know is that cute chapped cheek look, and that dry skin, or "cradle cap" that won't go away and the spit-up can all be indicators that you may be dealing with allergies. I didn’t realize that irregularity, vomiting, and diarrhea can all indicate that there is an underlying allergy. I knew snotty noses come all the time with kids, and I knew babies have croupy sounds -- but I didn’t know that when they continue for more than two weeks, that it could be allergy related. Those symptoms are common in kids that are allergy free, that is why it is difficult to find a balance, and get a diagnosis.

All the above symptoms together, or on their own can be an indicator that your child is struggling with FOOD allergies.

This is where I thought it got tricky. It’s obvious if you take a four year old out into the grass, she plays, comes in all hivey, and snotty she likely has pollen / grass allergies. That to me, was a "no-brainer". What I didn’t know is that my baby who was eating peas, and loving it, but then was an incredibly fussy, gassy, pink cheeked, dry skinned baby was highly allergic to peas. Her body didn’t get a rash for a few months, it just looked like someone had kissed her cheeks a little too much. It wasn’t until she had peas for months on end that we finally noticed a few minor blotches that came up (hives). I figured it was a “contact allergy” gave a dose of benedryl one time, and moved on. I didn’t “note it”, and I honestly thought the problem was that she had sensitive skin, after all, her cheeks were always chapped. Then the day came when I fed her peas, fish, and milk (See my previous post). THAT was clear, there was an allergy. I called my dear friend and then my Dr. and eventually 911. I never fed her peas again. To this day, she cannot have beans, peas or any other legume (or dairy/fish either). She tests off the scale at the allergist for them.

Had I realized what the symptoms of an allergy CAN be -- not what they USUALLY are-- I would have possibly been ahead of the game, and not had the experience we did.

*For more information on signs of allergies in infancy see my post "Madness and Mayhem: What Allergies can Look Like in Infancy"

No comments:

Post a Comment