Thursday, November 25, 2010

Try This Not That: Alternatives for Eczema Treaments, Help for Dry Skin Part 1


One of the first signs my three daughters show of allergies is eczema. When my oldest started having trouble with eczema both the Pediatrician and I thought it was cradle cap. Once it “hung around” for a while, and her body's dry skin became more and more dry it was apparent that this was eczema. There are several reasons for eczema to occur. Please understand, I’m not suggesting that if you have a child, or you yourself suffer from eczema that you have an allergy issue.

However, this post isn’t allergy specific, so you can use the tips below to find some relief!

It’s common that the Dr. will send an eczema patient home with a topical cream, usually if not always they are steroid based ointments. While, as I’ve said in my previous post, I believe that there are some times that there is a need for a medicine; it’s not a belief of mine that eczema is always one of these cases. I have seen severe eczema with my oldest daughter, my middle daughter has a pretty strong case of it, where her skin cracks and my youngest has rough skin from time to time. I do realize there are cases where the only thing that will work is steroids. If you are in that boat, I extend my sympathy. If you are not, or even if you are you can hopefully find use of the alternatives I list here.

One thing I have noticed that helps my girls is changing the products that I use for bath time. The month after my daughter was diagnosed with allergies, I changed the products we use in our home for cleaning, bath time, and laundry. I cannot emphasize the difference it made in my children's allergies when I transferred to green products. I had an idea that it would help, but I never expected it to be such a dynamic part of their healing. I use products for bath and massage time by California Baby, they are in my recommendation box on the right of my blog homepage, under "My Favorites". Their products are amazing! They are slightly pricier than the mainstream products you’ll find in the mass retailers, but you use far less than other brands. I find their products last longer, make a big difference in the quality of my girls skin and most of all they are gentle, allergy friendly and comforting to my kids.

Method also makes a wonderful nearly all green bath line, they are not quite as gentle for my older daughter but they are remarkable for my younger girls. California Baby and Method are both gluten free product lines. California Baby steers clear of the Major 8, while Method generally keeps away from common irritants. Always read the label, yes, even on toiletries!

I have found a lot of times when my oldest has an allergic reaction, she has a severe outbreak with her eczema. During those times I try to throw her in a bath:

One bath time trick I use is an Epsom salt bath. A friend of mine suggested this a while back. I am amazed at the change that takes place in ten minutes of a bath with salts.  I purchase the store brand and mix according to the label -- do NOT use any other kind of salt! Epsom salt has special ingredients to treat the skin, healing it in a way that table, rock, or sea salt cannot. My girls absolutely adore a good “salt bath”. From a parents standpoint-- it’s easier to clean than the oats (see below) so you will likely fall in love with them too. The price on Epsom salts is hard to beat, therefore, I suggest you try this alternative first.

My second bath time trick is oats and warm water. It is an incredibly soothing experience. You’ll find that the oats take away the swelling, the itching, and the redness all at once. I always use the off brand at the store closest to me. They have several versions and there is generally a very clear label that it is for eczema. The oat baths are great, because the child can stay in it as long as they like.

A less expensive alternative to the store bought oat bath pack is making your own. If you purchase rolled, or steel cut oats just toss them in the blender and blend until they become fine and almost powder-like.

There are some reports that say you should not bathe your child nightly if they have eczema - the less time in the water the better. Other reports say that nightly baths with lots of cream is best. My experience is: it depends on the child! I have one who I think could live in the water and her skin be healthier because of it, my other daughter should really be in a tub no more than twice a week, because we begin to have severe problems with eczema. My girls that cannot bathe allot I have found love a shower just as much, and it is gentle enough to increase the amount of times a week they are bathed.

When bath time is complete I “cream them up”. Again, I use California baby products for this. Without completely drying their skin after bath time, I slather them in cream, then place long pants, long sleeve shirts and a good pair of socks on them. It makes everyone all cozy and ready for bed.

As always, check with your Dr. before trying any new treatment that they may not have prescribed!

No comments:

Post a Comment