Saturday, November 13, 2010

Introductions


As the mother of three children with food allergies, and as a Gluten Intolerant person myself, I know the importance of finding food that is both healthy (meaning safe to eat), and easy. That is a hard combination to strike. I’ve had months where there were three basic recipes, plus cereal, and a few snacks that we ate while I attempted to work out all the “kinks” of our new found allergies.

When I began this journey, I had no previous experience in the area of allergies other than the occasional difficult battle with spring hay fever. I can tell you I was lost the first time I went into a supermarket and realized that label reading was no longer confined to “healthy food” (whole, organic, and unprocessed) but now it included a good bit of the normal products we consumed as well. That day I was in tears.

Today, I rejoice when I have friends come to me with questions or seeking advice; not because it is a good thing they are in the position of needing the help; but rather because I know that I can help them in a way that I had no assistance. That support system is so necessary for the fight with food allergies. That support system is something I longed for, and didn’t have a lot of when I battled the test results that said we would have to turn our eating habits upside down. That support system is what I hope to share here, through recipes, advice, links and personal stories.

I am not a Dr. or medical professional, I do not have “technical” advice, and you should know that all the views on my blog are just that- my personal view.

I claim NO professional experience. Just “mom experience”- tips that have helped our family, and ways that we have made changes  with results of us seeing a difference. I hope that you are able to glean from our trial and error process so you have a smoother transition.

Here's To: allergy free days ahead, allergy free food on the table and allergy free friends in abundance!

2 comments:

  1. It's mind-boggling to imagine what it must be like to navigate a world filled with camoflauged and unexpected hazards to your children. Thank you for sharing how this plays out in your home, kitchen, and entire orbit and taking the time to document your failures and successes for the benefits of others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elena,
    Thank you for the encouragement, I look forward to sharing our "adventure" and I hope it is something others can learn from and possibly relate to. Adjusting is hard at first, but I hope to show my readers they are not alone, and it is not impossible!!

    ReplyDelete