Wednesday, November 17, 2010

This Is An Egg: Teaching Children with Allergies Part 2

In my last post I emphasized how important it is that you teach your child about their allergies. When I first began, that process seemed unattainable. How do you teach a 14month old that she can no longer have her beloved cup of milk because it could literally kill her? I was overwhelmed to say the least, but more than determined to make it effotless for my child to adjust, and adapt in a world that she typically would be "left out" when dealing with the allergies she has. I don't claim to have perfected this art, but I found some tips that worked for us. Below are some of my suggestions for relaying and educating allergy concerns to your children they are personally tested by me, and have proven incredibly effective.

When she was younger we worked daily with foods I had in the house, I would pull cans, bottles, boxes, produce -- anything I could find in the house that she could have a reaction to. I would tell her what it was, and explain what it does to her.

When we grocery shopped, I would review the items that were not for her in the store, and explain why.

When we visited friends, I gently but pro-actively reminded her to remember which cup she had, because she couldn't afford to mistake her cuppy with the cuppy of someone else who has "cows-milk". Obviously, I watched her actions, but from a distance, in a way that would help her boost her confidence in the area of  "protecting herself"

I love kitchen sets with play food-- plastic, cardboard, material it doesn't matter; use these toys as teaching elements. How often do your preschoolers fix you a plate? My girls do all the time and when I get the joy of having a plate of food brought to me, I thank them and ask who it is for. If it is for them I look to see if they put eggs (or other allergens) on their plate, if they did I tell them "Now, you can only eat the eggs for pretend, but those are the very best kind-aren't you lucky, because they can be ANY egg you want!"

Another option if you don't have a kitchen set: look through magazines and let your child pick out foods, let them cut and then glue foods to a paper plate, or just point at the food to tell you what their "plate" will have, explain whether or not they can have the food.

 Teach them exactly what certain foods and allergies do to them. When they have allergic reactions, explain what it is and if you know the culprit advise them what made them sick.

Most importantly: Don't underestimate your children, young or old, it is encouraging to you and them to know you're enabling them to be their own advocate!

1 comment:

  1. These are great ideas! I'm praying I don't have to use them but I know I probably will.

    ReplyDelete